July 13, 2010

Pictures from our cruise to Alaska, 6/10

On our cruise to Alaska last month we stopped at ports in Juneau, Glacier Bay, Sitka, Ketchikan and Victoria BC. We took to sea out of Seattle on the Zaandam, a ship on the Holland America cruise line. It was our first cruise and we had a wonderful time. Fabulous food, fabulous scenery, an all around fabulous adventure to Alaska.
Zaandam docked in Juneau:
We took a helicopter to the Norris glacier to do some Dog sledding, the Norris glacier is outside of Juneau. The blue ice on the glacier in the picture below was magnificent, crystal clear, sparking blue ice. We have so many fabulous pix of the ride to the glacier, I can upload some if you'd like to see them, just let me know:


Here we are in Glacier Bay. The ship was anchored in Glacier bay for many hours,and we had plenty of time to take in the beautiful scenery. We saw many eagles, otters and a bear on the shore line just before getting into the bay. A glorious day of sunshine. Wow, Alaska is wonderful.




SITKA - Sitka is a nice, small town in Alaska. There are some beautiful homes in Sitka and the flowers were in full bloom; so many colorful and pretty flowers.

I went on a snorkeling excursion out of Sitka, unfortunately I don't have any photos from the excursion. I can tell you we wore dry suits and I felt like I was choking in that darn tight, water-proof suit. The water was 52 degrees, not too cold. The star fish were brilliant day-glo colors (yellow, pink, blue, lime green) and the anemonies and fish were plentiful. I enjoyed the snorkeling adventure very much.

Mike went on a deep sea fishing excursion and caught a few types of different salmon. He had some of the salmon packaged and shipped home, delicious is all I can say and we have a freezer full. Mike said the sea was somewhat rough that day with 12 foot swells (waves), the boat was really rocking. Here are some pix from Mike's excursion:

Here's a picture of Mike, Capt. Jack and the fishing boat owner's son on the fishing boat, the Chilkat


KETCHIKAN - Our next stop was Ketchikan, the first city in Alaska. Kethcikan was much larger than Sitka, our first day of a little rain (we were so fortunate, we had perfect weather almost the entire trip).

We took a float plane excursion out of Ketchikan to Misty Fjord National Park. This area was so impressive I don't believe photos can do it justice. The float plane was a gas, on the plane were 3 people with Mike & I and of course the pilot. I am attaching a number of pictures from Misty Fjord, if you'd like to see a larger picture, just click on the pix you want to view:






After Ketchikan we cruised to Victoria Island, BC. We only had a few hours in Victoria and Mike and I took a leasurely stroll through the town. Victoria is a beautiful island, Mike and I visited 3 years earlier and had a great day there.

That's all for now. Thanks for looking and enjoying our pictures with us :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Lucille, loved looking at your gorgeous trip pictures, your trip looked grand. This is a cruise I would love to take to Alaska, but I could not do alot of the things you did as I am disabled and on oxygen, I would just love to see the scenery and relax, my husband I think would enjoy it too, he is an avid fisherman and hunter. Maybe next year or the following.

Thanks for the look,
Donna (irishmist from flickr site)

jintyoo7 said...

What stunning photographs.

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Love your Alaska photos, Lucille! I'm so glad you and Mike could make the trip. Can't believe it's two years already since we went - your photos brought back a lot of memories for me. Thanks for sharing!!

Virginia L. said...

Hey Lucille, I did the almost idential trip to Alaska last summer (Zuiderdam leaving from Vacouver). We also did the helicoptor ride in Juneau! Thanks for the memory trip down the lane! So gald that you had a FAB time! Gorgeous photos you took! HAL's wonderful, isn't it?